In our article, we’re going to review six of the best mountain bike forks currently available. We will also rank our choices based on popularity and usability. An overall great model has to be resistant, offer superior suspension system, and guarantee support for your favorite types of terrain. Mountain bike forks come in a broad range of types and configurations. Two of the most common types are air suspension and spring coil types. Check out the choices we recommend!
|Product Name||Material||Type||Weight||Compatibility||Price Range||Score|
|Manitou M30 Mountain Bike Fork||Magnesium Monocoque||Air Suspension||26 inches||3.52 pounds||Medium||3.5/5|
|DNM USD-8 Downhill Mountain Bike Air Fork||Aluminum||Spring Coil||26 inches||7.72 pounds||High||3.8/5|
|RST Aerial 29||Aluminum||Air and Oil Suspension||29 inches||5.29 pounds||Medium||4/5|
|SR Suntour XCM||Steel Alloy||Coil Spring||26 inches||7.49 pounds||Low||4.2/5|
|Whool Locking Suspension Forks||Aluminum||Coil Spring||26 inches||7.38 pounds||Average||4.5/5|
|Bavel Carbon Fiber Road Bicycle Fork Mountain||Carbon Fiber||Coil Spring||27 inches||2.8 pounds||Low||4.8/5|
6. Manitou M30 Mountain Bike Fork
One of the best mountain bike forks currently available is the Manitou M30 series. Compatible with many 26-inch mountain bikes, this fork utilizes an Air Control suspension system. Such a feature provides a much more comfortable riding experience across various terrain types. Weighing in at less than 4 pounds, it’s also quite lightweight too.
- Offers a smooth ride across various terrain types.
- Includes a lockout mechanism on the right side.
- Fairly lightweight.
- Does not come with an air pump for filling the tubes.
- Cost a bit more than other models.
Related: The best mountain bike gloves
5. DNM USD-8 Downhill Mountain Bike Air Fork
The DNM USD-8 is another one of the best mountain bike forks to consider checking out. While it does cost a lot more than many of the other options on our list, this fork utilizes a three-tier suspension system to offer the most impact resistance possible. It also comes with a mudguard to help keep you and your bike clean in rainy weather.
- Three-tier suspension system offers a smooth riding experience.
- Comes with a mudguard that is ideal for wet weather use.
- Individuals cartridges can be replaced for longer durability.
- A bit too expensive for most casual mountain bike riders.
- Weighs quite a bit more than other models.
4. RST Aerial 29 Mountain Bike Disc Hydraulic Lock Fork
With an average price range, the RST Aerial 29 is another one of the best mountain bike forks for new and experienced mountain bike riders. This fork is designed specifically for the larger 29-inch mountain bike types that taller riders prefer. It utilizes an oil and spring combination suspension system to ensure you are comfortable no matter what type of terrain you are riding on.
- Combination of oil and air suspension provides great support.
- Mid-tier price range makes it an affordable option for many users.
- Aluminum construction is rust-resistant.
- Only compatible with large bike types.
- The style looks a bit plain.
3. SR Suntour XCM Suspension Fork
Powered by a coil spring suspension, this fork is ideal for both moderate bumpy terrain as well as basic street use. It’s compatible with 26-inch mountain bikes and pairs well with frames that have a dark color scheme.
Our only complaint is that this fork is a bit on the heavier side. That being said, it still delivers a comfortable ride. On top of that, it isn’t too difficult to install. This is why we decided that this SR Suntour model deserves a place on our list of the best mountain bike forks.
- Suitable for dark mountain bike frame designs.
- Provides a smooth ride for moderate off-roading and street use.
- Fairly easy to install on most bike frames.
- This fork is a bit heavy.
- Lack of lighter style choices can clash with white frame designs.
2. Whool Locking Suspension Forks
If you have a 26-inch mountain bike, you may want to check out these Whool locking suspension forks. With its inner suspension coil design, these forks are built to last and ideal for riding in wet environments. We also like that they are fairly easy to install and maintain as well.
- Price is affordable for new mountain bike riders.
- Available in both black and white.
- Accommodates slightly wider tires.
- Does not offer quite as much support as some of the other options.
- Still a bit heavier than many other options.
1. Baver Carbon Fiber Road Bicycle Fork Mountain
Compatible with 27-inch mountain bike frames, Bavel is our number one mountain bike fork pick. It’s the only option on our list made out of carbon fiber. For those who do not know, carbon fiber is much more durable and is typically lighter weight than other options like aluminum or steel. In fact, the entire shipping weight for this fork is less than 2 pounds. We also love that it comes in three different style choices too.
- This is the lightest fork design on our list.
- The carbon fiber material is one of the most durable choices.
- Available in three different color choices.
- No warranty information is available.
- The design looks a bit dated.
If you’re still searching for the best mountain bike forks, consider checking out our recommendations. They come in a wide range of style choices with several different suspension methods to choose from. Once you’ve tried one out, tell us about your experience with it. As always, if there is a mountain bike fork you would like to recommend, tell us about it in the comments area.